2014年2月16日日曜日

3 Masahiro Tanaka singed a deal worth $155million.

I saw the news on TV which said thatMasahiro Tanaka, who is a Japanese baseball player, signed a seven-year deal with New York Yankees. The deal is worth $155 million, which made every Japanese peoplesurprised. He said “They gave me the highest evaluation.”.

In 2013, he leaded his team to Japan Seriestitles. I’m not familiar with baseball at all, but I know that he has beenconsidered one of great players since he was a rookie.
 
Although I don’t know much about him, it said that he was still 25 years old. I really don’t know how  
talkativebaseball players are or how good their speeches are.I don’t mean thatsports players are reticent. However, I was really impressed with his reply tothe media. He clearly answered each question from the numerous media reporters surrounding him in a regal and calm way. He seemed like a determined, articulate       person and more mature than he actually is. As you might know, he got married with aJapanese idol last year. It was sometimes  clear that the media induced him to talk about his private life with her, asking “What dishes do you want her to cook in New York?”. He displayed his firm attitude and said “Everything is welcome as long as these dishes are eatable edible.”
 
There was one thing I was a bit concernedabout. He said “ I can’t speak English, but it would be enough to play well”.Does he really think it is not necessary to speak English despite the fact thathe works with American team mates? I’ve heard that there was a Japanese baseball player who failed to succeed in a major league of America. Was it a lack of his physical skills? The answer is “NO”. One of his team mates said“Whenever I spoke with him, I felt like I was talking with his interpreter nothim.” How can we build the strong relationships with others without eyecontacts? How can we earn others' trust without conveying  your feeling     personally?
 
Of course, he is a baseball player not businessperson who need to discuss at a meeting or negotiate a      price or something. He is not necessarily required to improve English. Still if he values the relationships with his teammates who might support his play, I believe he should be aware of the importance of a language used in America.

signed a seven-year deal 7年契約
rookie. 新人
reticent 無口な
in a regal and calm way 堂々として落ち着いて
articulate person きっぱりしている人
induce him to ~  彼を~させようと誘惑する
earn others' trust 他人の信頼を得る

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿